Do Now: Take out your independent reading books and begin reading!
Name Tags: Please take about 5 minutes and create a name tag to place on your desk so I may learn your names. We will need these each day this week.
I hope you enjoy your reading. I hope you enjoyed your books. If you did not, you will have an opportunity to choose a different text later. For now, this will be your daily launch.
Please take a moment to fill out your name and block on the front of your journals and open to a fresh page. Write the proper heading and we will begin.
How do I want to present myself to my new teacher? What would I hope my new teacher knows about me?
In journals, answer the following questions about the quote:
1. Do you think it’s in your best interest to make a good impression on your new teacher? Why or why not?
3. Name one person you think is a leader and describe what makes them a leader.
Moving into Mesas - TURN TO YOUR MESA - This will be your thinking group for the next two months.
1. Introduce yourself to your mesa partners. (1)
2. Share your thoughts and reactions to the journal launch (4 minutes)
Be prepared to share your answers with the whole class.
New Entry and Exit Procedures: EMBRACE CHANGE!
In your notebooks, please copy down the following terms and reflect on what they mean in your own life.
Silent launch: When I shake hands with Ms. Mueller upon entering class, it is an agreement that I am ready to be silent and start my work.
Voice: This means that when I speak in class, I use proper voice, proper language and volume. I also answer class questions in a full sentence.
Academic Mindset: I am here to learn. I am here to get an education and become a leader. I am NOT here to waste anyone's time, especially my own.
Growth Mindset: I believe that my abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Brains and talent are just the starting point. I can achieve anything I set my mind to.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015
Do Now: Take out your independent reading books and begin reading! If you do not have your own book, take the book from under your chair for today and plan on meeting me at lunch or during break to choose a new book.
Journal Launch: Complete copying down the vocabulary from yesterday if you haven't already done so. Indicate you are finished by putting down your pen or pencil and waiting silently.
Silent launch: When I shake hands with Ms. Mueller upon entering class, it is an agreement that I am ready to be silent and start my work.
Voice: This means that when I speak in class, I use proper voice, proper language and volume. I also answer class questions in a full sentence.
Academic Mindset: I am here to learn. I am here to get an education and become a leader. I am NOT here to waste anyone's time, especially my own.
Growth Mindset: I believe that my abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Brains and talent are just the starting point. I can achieve anything I set my mind to.
Journal Launch 2:
What is a "safe space"? Make a list of things you think should be allowed or not allowed in a safe space. Include at least 5 things.
Share out your answers with your elbow partner.
Whole group share out.
Copy down the definition of "safe space". This is your 5th vocabulary concept. We will have an in-class quiz when we reach 10 vocabulary concepts.
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can be able to fully express themselves without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome or unsafe on account of gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, cultural background, religious affiliation, physical appearance, age, or physical or mental ability.
It is a place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.
Poem: Together, we will read a poem aloud. As I read, please actively listen. Write down at least two observations, questions, comments in the margins.
The Cookie Thief by Valerie Cox
A woman was waiting at an airport one night
With several long hours before her flight
She hunted for a book in the airport shop
Bought a bag of cookies and found a place to drop
She was engrossed in her book but happened to see
That the man beside her as bold as could be
Grabbed a cookie or two from the bag between
Which she tried to ignore to avoid a scene
She munched cookies and watched the clock
As this gutsy cookie thief diminished her stock
She was getting more irritated as the minutes ticked by
Thinking "If I wasn't so nice I'd blacken his eye"
With each cookie she took he took one too
And when only one was left she wondered what he'd do
With a smile on his face and a nervous laugh
He took the last cookie and broke it in half
He offered her half as he ate the other
She snatched it from him and thought "Oh brother
This guy has some nerve and he's also rude
Why he didn't even show any gratitude"
She had never known when she had been so galled
And sighed with relief when her flight was called
She gathered her belongings and headed for the gate
Refusing to look back at the thieving ingrate
She boarded the plane and sank in her seat
Then sought her book which was almost complete
As she reached in her baggage she gasped with surprise
There was her bag of cookies in front of her eyes
"If mine are here" she moaned with despair
"Then the others were his and he tried to share"
"Too late to apologize she realized with grief"
That she was the rude one, the ingrate, the thief.
In Journals:
When was the last time you made an “assumption” about another person?
Take three minutes to write this down on your poem paper.
Two minute share out with elbow partner.
Whole class share out: What are some THEMES or LESSONS we can take away from this poem? Write your lesson or theme on a post-it. We will place these on a poster paper as a reminder not to make assumptions about each other.
Homework: On the back of your poetry handout, write three sentences (minimum) about a time you made an assumption about another person and what the consequences were. This will be collected tomorrow.
Wednesday, January 28th, 2015
Do Now: Take out your independent reading book and get lost!
Journal Launch: Think about the poem we read yesterday and write down the following concept vocabulary word #6.
Theme: An idea about life that you find in a story. It is usually in the form of a sentence.
We will place these on a poster paper as a reminder not to make assumptions about each other.
Independent Reading Program: Read the Independent Reading Program Requirements with your mesa. We will discuss it together.
Shout-Outs and Call-Outs: In class, we use shout-outs and call-outs to keep us on track and to always do our best. We will practice shout-outs and call-outs now. You can always "call-out" yourself. The only response to shout-outs and call-outs are "snaps" or "I know you/I can do better."
HOMEWORK: Have your independent reading project sheet signed by a parent! Due tomorrow!
Thursday, January 29th, 2015
Do Now: Take out your independent reading book and get lost!
CONCEPT VOCABULARY #7:
Obstacle: a thing that blocks one's way or
prevents or hinders progress. A barrier or
hurdle
Video Launch: Watch the following video and answer the questions in your journal.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/education/dropout-nation/middle-school-moment/
1. What obstacles does Marina face regarding her achievement?
2. What obstacles to graduation do you face?
3. How do you overcome these obstacles?
4. Why are you here? What is the role of education in your life?
Share out with elbow partner.
Whole class share out:
HOMEWORK: In journals, write down an obstacle you face in life that might make graduating High School a challenge. How will you overcome this obstacle??
* Your assigned independent reading book is due tomorrow. Whatever book you choose tomorrow is the one you must finish for your first book project!
* Your assigned independent reading book is due tomorrow. Whatever book you choose tomorrow is the one you must finish for your first book project!
Independent Reading Reflection: Please fill out all three parts of the IR reflection sheet and answer the following questions on the back:
1. What do you like the most about reading?
2. What do you like the least?
3. How can Ms. Mueller best support you in
reading?
Independent Reading Book Sign Ups: On poster paper, we will put the name of our independent reading book. Any day you do not have this book OR any day you attempt to read a different book, you will be marked unprepared. Take care of your things!
Weekend Homework: Read your independent reading book!
No comments:
Post a Comment